It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:09 pm 

£10M BOOK AND MOVIE PROFITS ‘WILL BE SPENT ON FINDING MADELEINE’

Wednesday January 9,2008
David Pilditch

THE parents of Madeleine McCann faced a storm of criticism yesterday over a secret deal to turn her disappearance into a Hollywood blockbuster.

Kate and Gerry sparked outrage after it was revealed they have held negotiations with leading producers over the movie rights.

The couple – who are prime suspects in the case – are also considering book and TV deals in a package worth an estimated £10million.

The windfall would help finance the search for Madeleine after concerns were raised that a special fund set up by the family was in crisis.

More than £1.2million has been donated by the public since Madeleine disappeared on an ill-fated family holiday in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz last May.

The fund is dwindling at an alarming rate and is said to have plunged to less than £400,000.

Yesterday, some angry donors threatened to demand their money back after learning of the movie deal. Internet websites were also bombarded with messages condemning the plans.

Last month, representatives of the couple held talks with IMG, the world’s biggest talent and entertainment agency.

The firm owns Darlow Smithson Productions which made the award-winning documentary Touching The Void – the story of two British climbers’ fight for survival after an accident in the Peruvian Andes. It made £7million at the box office.

The movie project will be discussed by Gerry and the directors of the Find Madeleine fund at a meeting near the couple’s home in Rothley, Leics, tonight.

The McCanns’ spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “We need money to search for Madeleine and that is the most important thing. Nothing has been decided yet.

“A film would be made on a percentage basis, with part of the profits going to the fund. None of the money would go to Kate and Gerry. They are not trying in any way to profit out of her name.’’

Gerry is said to be keen on the movie as he feels it will help the hunt for his daughter who vanished six days before her fourth birthday.

The heart consultant has become a close friend of the father of 15-year-old Amy Smart, abducted in the US and found eight months later. Several movies were made about her while she was missing including The Amy Smart Story.

Her father has told Gerry he believes they helped keep his daughter in the public eye and led to her being spotted months later.

Last night, critics condemned the McCanns over the movie plans. On one blog, angry Pamela Blears, from Oldham, wrote: “From the day little Madeleine disappeared I have felt sympathy and compassion for the McCanns but this beggers belief.

“How can they think about making a film out of the tragedy when the poor child hasn’t even been found yet? How low can you get?”

Geoff Lowe, from New Zealand, wrote: “How could any genuine grieving parents be looking for this sort of money-making venture so soon after her disappearance?” An entry on another site said: “This is bad taste in the extreme. It is quite staggering.

“Surely the McCanns should be focusing all their efforts on finding Madeleine, not negotiating movie deals. It is just unbelievable.”

Kate and Gerry, both 39, deny being involved in their daughter’s disappearance and insist she was abducted from their holiday apartment while they dined with friends in a nearby Tapas restaurant.

Insiders said they would not appear on film personally but would give the makers interviews and access to personal background material that has never been seen.

The film would chart events leading up to Madeleine’s disappearance and her parents’ desperate hunt for her. It will also show how they went from victims to suspects and highlight their fight to prove their innocence.

Mr Mitchell said the couple would only co-operate with the film, or any other project, only when their status as suspects was lifted.

A source close to the couple added: “The film deal is possible. It is the sort of thing we would look at seriously because in one fell swoop we could resolve the funding of the search overnight.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:09 pm 

MADELEINE: MCCANNS FEAR CHARGES SOON

Wednesday January 9,2008
By David Pilditch

KATE and Gerry McCann fear they will be charged over daughter Madeleine’s disappearance as Portuguese police begin the final phase of their bid to put the couple on trial.

Sources close to the couple yesterday said they feared that after months of apparent inactivity, the investigation had developed a new momentum which appeared to be directed solely at proving the McCanns are guilty.

A formal request demanding fresh interrogations and the seizure of Kate’s diary and Madeleine’s Cuddle Cat toy was sent from the prosecutors office on the Algarve on Monday and will be immediately served on Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

She will then pass it to Leicestershire police – possibly as early as tomorrow.

A source close to the family yesterday revealed: “Kate and Gerry insist they are innocent but they fear they will be charged.

“Naturally Kate and Gerry are concerned that if this line of inquiry continues to its natural conclusion, charges are always a possibility and they know that’s entirely wrong.”

He added: “The Portuguese police seem to be blinkered in their approach and it feels like they want to find the McCanns guilty regardless.” The Portuguese dossier contains up to 100 questions that detectives want answered by the McCanns and their friends they had dinner with – known as the Tapas Nine – on May 3 last year, the night Madeleine vanished.

Leaks claim police have identified a number of “inconsistencies” among their statements and it has been claimed two of the group Jane Tanner and Russell O’Brien want to change their accounts – something the pair have denied.

Portuguese detectives will fly to the UK in the coming days to sit in on the interviews which will be carried out by officers from Leicestershire police.

Investigators also believe entries in Kate’s diary – in which she allegedly revealed how she was struggling to cope with her three hyperactive children – prove she killed her daughter.

Police sources on the investigation are reported to have revealed that blood found in Kate and Gerry’s flat and hire car has been confirmed as belonging to their missing daughter.

They said fresh tests prove the parents were involved in her death and the disposal of her body.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:10 pm 

MADELEINE: BRITISH ODD-JOB MAN QUIZZED

VANISHED: Madeleine

Saturday January 12,2008
By Nick Fagge in Praia da Luz

A BRITISH gardener and odd-job man has been questioned by police investigating Madeleine McCann’s disappearance after a tip-off named him as a suspect.

An anonymous email sent to Portuguese detectives claimed that Daniel Groom was spotted lurking in an alley close to the McCanns’ apartment on the night Madeleine vanished.

It said Groom bears a striking resemblance to the person seen carrying a child away from the Ocean Club holiday complex in Praia da Luz that night.

Groom, 30, does have access to the complex because of his gardening duties. But he told the Daily Express yesterday that he was being set up. Speaking at his home just outside Praia da Luz, Groom, originally from Horsham, West Sussex, said: “I think I am being framed. I am the victim of a smear campaign by someone with a grudge against me.

“I’m just a gardener and can easily account for my movements that day. I wasn’t anywhere near the Ocean Club complex.”

Groom was questioned informally by two Portuguese detectives on Thursday.

He said: “On Tuesday I was followed by two uniformed police as I drove from my home to meet friends for drinks.

“During the week two detectives had arrived in town and begun asking friends about my whereabouts. I rang them after they left a message with a friend.

“I met them in a car park in Praia da Luz. Their English wasn’t perfect and neither is my Portuguese so I brought along a mate who can speak both.

“They were two detectives from the Lisbon area, a good cop and a bad cop. One guy was quite small and smoked a cigar. The other guy was really fat, wore girly sunglasses and kept looking around him all the time.

“The small guy told me to take off my cap and sunglasses and took a photo of me.”

Groom, who moved to Portugal 11 years ago, was questioned for about an hour. He was shown a copy of the email linking him to Madeleine’s disappearance on May 3 last year.

The message read: “Is it a coincidence that this man started working as a gardener in the area and a child went missing?

“Maybe he walked through the car park at the front of the McCanns’ apartment and a little way down the dark alley between the two buildings where he could see and probably hear that the McCanns were there.

“After that maybe he listened at the window of the McCanns’ apartment for any sign that someone such as a babysitter was there. No television…nothing.

“Did this man initially see the McCanns and Madeleine whilst working on an empty apartment/villa and note that the children were left alone? Did he then come back to watch the McCanns when it was dark and not during daylight hours?”

Groom said he was shocked by the email. “I told the police it was all complete rubbish. After speaking in the car park we drove to the Ocean Club. The detectives pointed out a place where I was supposed to have been seen. Hand on my heart, I have never been in that back corridor.

“After a few minutes they said they thought it was all b******t. They said if they needed to talk to me again they would, but they thought they were barking up the wrong tree.”

Jane Tanner, one of the McCanns’ holiday companions, has given police a description of a man she saw carrying a child near the family’s apartment. Ms Tanner, 36, of Exeter, did not see the man’s face but described him as smartly dressed with dark, almost black, hair.

Irishman Martin Smith, from Drogheda, County Louth, also saw a man carrying a child towards the beach shortly before 10pm on May 3.

Determined to prove his innocence, Groom yesterday showed the Daily Express his work diary for May 3. He claims he was painting a house in the hills several miles away. He also had another gardening job near his home but insists he did not go into Praia da Luz that night.

Groom admits he has access to the Ocean Club but says he was nowhere near the resort in the days before Madeleine vanished.

“I have a contract to carry out work on block four of the Ocean Club. The McCanns stayed in block five next door. The last time I worked there before Madeleine went missing was March 30 for a couple of hours.”

He added: “I’m 98 per cent sure who the people behind this email are. They used to be friends but we’ve fallen out. It’s sick that they would try to drag me into something like this.” Last night a police source said Groom was not being treated as an official suspect. “Mr Groom is not an arguido. It was simply a tip-off we received that had to be checked out.

“If we had any suspicions that he was involved we would have interrogated him formally.”

Hopes that Kate and Gerry McCann’s arguido status would be lifted next week were dashed last night when police made a formal request for a three-month extension to the secrecy surrounding the case.

Under Portuguese law, details of investigations are confidential for the first eight months after police identify a formal suspect – a deadline that expires on Tuesday. Police can ask for more time in exceptional cases.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:10 pm 

HAVE THEY LOST OUR SYMPATHY?

Kate and Gerry McCann

Saturday January 12,2008
By Anna Pukas

As it is revealed that they are considering a film about their daughter’s disappearance and their campaign sheds leading supporters, a growing section of public opinion appears to be turning against the McCanns...

On Sol, 15-year-old Amy Fitzpatrick set out on the del Costa New Year’s Day on the 10-minute walk to her home after babysitting for family friends. She never arrived and has been neither seen nor heard of since.

Since Amy vanished, her distraught mother and stepfather have made only one public appearance.

At a brief press conference five days later, they appealed for her safe return and for any information that could help bring that about. Since then they have been resolute in their refusal to say anything more and have turned the media away, saying: “Don’t make this another Maddy.”

It is a most revealing – and in some ways chilling – comment on the Madeleine McCann case from people who are better placed than anyone to form a view.
Kate with cuddle cat

Like Madeleine McCann, Dublin-born Amy Fitzpatrick disappeared while in a foreign country. Like Kate and Gerry McCann, Amy’s mother Audrey (she is also the same age as them, 39) has had to place her trust in a foreign police force and foreign laws operating in a foreign language.

Unlike the McCanns, however, she has not mounted an extensive publicity campaign to find her daughter. She has not placed posters bearing Amy’s picture in shops or stuck them on the walls of the gated housing complex near Fuengirola where the family lives. She has not, and will not, give interviews about Amy to television or to glossy magazines.
ì
All the sorrow I felt for them has vanished
î

The reason she has not done any of those things is because, in her own words, she does not want the investigation into Amy’s disappearance to “turn into a circus”.

In all probability, Audrey Fitzpatrick intended no slight to the McCanns but given her situation and its similarity to that of the McCanns, could there be a more damning indictment of the McCanns’ conduct over their daughter’s disappearance?

The messages posted on the various websites devoted to discussion of Madeleine have always provided a wide spectrum of opinion on the case and, more particularly, the comportment of Kate and Gerry. While there is, broadly speaking, still deep sympathy for the anguished couple there is also a considerable cynicism over their high profile.

SEARCH for:

Rightly or wrongly, some believe they have become rather too fond of publicity – a view that this week appears to have become even more entrenched.

published from an extensive interview were extracts First, which Gerry McCann gave to the prestigious American magazine Vanity Fair, in which he stated that he bitterly regretted leaving Madeleine in their holiday apartment while he and his wife went to dine with their friends. He also conceded that the past two months – the length of time since the McCanns were named arguidos, or suspects, by Portuguese police – had “clearly polarised people”.
The McCann's spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, faces the TV cameras

Then it was revealed that Father Jose Manuel Pacheco, the Portuguese priest who comforted the McCanns in the aftermath of Madeleine’s disappearance, has cut off contact with them, reportedly refusing to respond to phone calls and texts from Kate. He now says he regrets getting involved with them and felt duped when they were named arguidos.

And earlier this week it emerged that TV presenter Esther McVey, who is a long-time family friend, has stepped down as a director of the Find Madeleine Fund. Ms McVey, who has known Kate McCann since their college days, insisted she was quitting because she wanted to concentrate on her political career (she hopes to become a Tory MP) and her studies for an MBA degree.
The McCanns and the twins on the way to church in Rothley, Leicestershie

The McCann family spokesman, ex-BBC reporter Clarence Mitchell, also insisted the parting was “very amicable”.

Nonetheless the timing is unfortunate, to say the least, coming as it does hot on the heels of the most contentious development so far – the putative “Maddy movie”.

The McCanns have been approached by IMG, the biggest entertainment agency in the world, and last month a meeting took place including Mitchell. IMG owns Darlow Smithson with their representatives, Productions, which made the award-winning documentary Touching The Void, about the fate of two British mountaineers following an accident in the Andes.
Madeleine's great uncle, Brian Kennedy, talks to the world's media

It can be assumed that a film about Madeleine would use the same format of extensive interviews with the main “characters” in the story interwoven with dramatic reconstructions. However, the use in some reports of the description “movie” has led to the belief that the McCanns are sanctioning the making of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Mitchell was swift to try to dispel the notion of fictionalisation of Madeleine’s story. “Our objection is to the word ‘movie’,” he said.

“We had a discussion with IMG a month ago and that’s as far as we’ve got. We discussed a film in the broadest terms possible. It may or may not happen. A similar meeting was held with ITV about some kind of factual drama, with actors playing Kate and Gerry. We get approaches from all kinds of media all the time.”

The film could form TV broadcast deals, worth a reported and book with package, part of a £10million, but Mitchell emphasised that all money earned would go into the Find Madeleine Fund, which was launched a few days after she vanished last May.

It quickly topped £1.2million but is seriously depleted. With Spanis on £80,000 spent on a poster campaign, £300,000private investigators h and thousands going on fact-finding trips to Spain and Morocco and living expenses (including two months of mortgage payments), the fund stands at less than £400,000. Donations have dried up.

“Money is needed to search for Madeleine,” said Mitchell. “A film would be made on a percentage basis, with part of the profits going to the fund.

“None of the money would go to Kate and Gerry. They are absolutely not trying in any way to profit out of her name.”

meanwhile, denied that he and his wife were Gerry McCann, co-operating with any kind of film.

“We can categorically deny that we simply is This are considering a movie about Madeleine’s disappearance. untrue,” he wrote in his blog on Wednesday. “

Sadly, his denials and Mitchell’s clarifications appear to have had little, if any, mollifying effect on public perception.

“It’s an absolute disgrace that these cold, calculating, child-neglecting, sorry excuses for human beings should have a film made. They should be arrested, not given the opportunity of more publicity!” That, from a message board correspondent named Pam, is typical of the ferocity of opinion.

Another, Ken, writes: “If a film is made it will be endorsed by the McCanns. They will give permission so they can make even more money out of this. They left them kids alone most nights – why do you have sympathy for them?”

Eileen ponders: “What next? Gerry writing a newspaper column and Kate launching a fitness video? This news does not surprise me in the least. couple have and will continue to do anything and everything publicity-mad That to keep THEMSELVES in the spotlight in their vain and (thankfully) failing attempt to detract from their own irresponsible actions.”

And from Geoff, there was: “All the sympathy and sorrow I had for them has now vanished. How could any genuine grieving parents be looking for this sort of money-making venture so soon after Madeleine’s disappearance?”

Meanwhile, a correspondent named Peter mused: “Am I the only one fed up with listening to people involved with the Madeleine McCann case, like Clarence Mitchell, and their ‘holier than thou’ attitude? To keep saying that her parents had nothing to do with it is complete nonsense. Had the McCanns been an ordinary couple from a poor council estate and not been professional people, the two would have been removed from them by social children remaining services.”

Here, on the Daily Express website, more than 60,000 comments have been posted about the case – nearly three quarters of which are hostile to the McCanns.

Gerry McCann was all too right when he wrote in his blog: “This is the worst publicity we have had since Kate and I were declared to be arguidos.”

Since the McCanns left Portugal in September and returned to Rothley, Leicestershire, their lives have taken diverging paths.

In November, Gerry went back to work three days a week as a cardiologist and as of this week is working full time.

He plays golf once a week, pops into a village pub and takes twins Amelie and Sean to play in the park. Kate rarely ventures from home; she takes the twins to nursery twice a week and attends mass on Sundays and Tuesdays.

Though their relatives and friends insist that, as a couple, they are as united as ever, they admit the one point on which they differ is publicity and handling media.

Kate finds it too painful – she was unable to answer a single question for the Vanity Fair interviewer – and she feels that a lower profile would be more prudent. Gerry still sees the media as a tool to be used.

In this, even his advisers say he has sometimes been too assiduous and his blog disappeared from the Find Madeleine website for a time.

Handling the public is, however, another matter, as Gerry is the week the as finding out to his cost in a week that may come to be seen McCanns’ grip on the nation’s heart slackened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 pm 

KEEP LOOKING FOR HER, BEGS GRANDAD

Saturday January 12,2008
By David Pilditch

THE distraught father of Kate McCann made a heartfelt plea to the public yesterday to carry on looking for his missing granddaughter Madeleine.

Brian Healy, 68, told how he had “never felt so helpless” after the little girl disappeared last May just six days before her fourth birthday.

The family’s nightmare was compounded when Kate and her husband Gerry were made official suspects in September.

Mr Healy, who lives with his wife Susan in Liverpool, asked people in Britain and abroad not to give up hope.

He said: “There has been so much that has been said and written, much of it untrue and hurtful, but so often it seems to me as if the only really important person in all this has been forgotten – and that’s Madeleine.

“Finding Madeleine should be at the forefront of everyone’s minds. Everything else takes the attention away from this and wastes so much time.” Insisting that his 39-year-old daughter is innocent, Mr Healy said: “Some people don’t seem to want to know about the real Kate.

“She is such a warm and caring person, as well as being intelligent. But you can’t win because people say, ‘He would say that, he’s her father’.

“But I would love them to be able to spend just one hour in Kate’s company and I would have loved them to have been able to spend just one hour with Kate, Gerry, Madeleine and the twins.

“For me, there is one photograph which sums up Kate’s family.

“It’s a black and white picture of the five of them, which we have on our wall. It’s just such a beautiful photograph and it tells its own story.”

Mr Healy added: “We have had so many hugs from people who approach us when we’re out shopping.

“Sue was in town last Saturday and she was getting hugged all the time. These people care about Madeleine and they know what the real story is – that Madeleine has been taken and needs to be found and brought back as quickly as possible.”

Meanwhile, the boss of a child model agency who hopes to make millions from hiring out a Madeleine double, claimed yesterday that she is living in fear of her life.

Shona Juliet-Adams, 41, signed up three-year-old Kelsey Lynn Kudla in the hope of winning a contract for her to star as the missing youngster in the proposed film, Madeleine The Movie.

But speaking from her two-bedroom council flat in Streatham, south London, she said: “I have had threatening phone calls and death threats.”

Ms Juliet-Adams claimed that she was only doing her job and said she has nothing to be ashamed of.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 pm 

MCCANNS 'HAPPY TO BE REINTERVIEWED'

Sunday January 13,2008

The parents of missing Madeleine McCann are "very keen" for Portuguese police to come to Britain and re-interview them if it enables officers to complete their inquiries and eliminate them, their spokesman said.

Gerry and Kate McCann's spokesman Clarence Mitchell has said that it was "almost inhumane" that they were still suspects in their daughter's disappearance.

Mr Mitchell said categorically that the couple have "absolutely no plans" to return to Portugal at the moment, but he emphasised they wanted to co-operate with police.

He said: "Gerry and Kate, more than anyone, are anxious that the police complete their inquiries and eliminate them as soon as possible.

"If that means the police coming to Britain in the near future to re-interview Gerry and Kate and their friends, (they) are very keen for that to happen."

He said that there was nothing to prevent the McCanns returning to Portugal, but there were no plans to do so in the immediate future.

Investigators have asked for the tight secrecy requirements surrounding the case to be extended, the Portuguese attorney-general's office has said.

Reports in the Portuguese press suggested a three-month period has been sought.

Portuguese law normally provides for an eight-month term during which documents remain secret and official suspects, police and lawyers are banned from discussing the case in public. That period was due to expire in the McCann case next week.

The only official suspects - arguidos - in the disappearance so far are the four-year-old's parents and the British expatriate Robert Murat, who lived near the holiday complex in Praia da Luz where Madeleine went missing on May 3.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:12 pm 

NEW MADELEINE SWOOP

Monday January 14,2008
By Padraic Flanagan in Praia da Luz

THE hunt for Madeleine McCann switched to the Canary Islands last night as police searched an incinerator for her remains.

Detectives swooped on a pet crematorium in the Gran Canaria town of Telde after a worker there was arrested for attempting to abduct a child.

They were alerted after the terrified 10-year-old girl told her mother how she fought off the man as he attempted to drag her off the street into his van just days ago.

She later picked out former crematorium worker Marcos Cabrera, 37, at an identity parade as the man who had tried to lure her into his van with five euros.

Police were already investigating the disappearance of two other children from the holiday island – easily reachable by plane or ferry from Portugal where Madeleine vanished on May 3.

Bespectacled Yeremi Vargas, seven, disappeared in March last year and 14-year-old Sara Morales has not been seen since last July.

Detectives ordered a full-scale search of the crematorium after discovering construction worker Cabrera was employed there before recently switching to his building job.

He was taken from his cell to the incinerator in handcuffs and questioned at the scene. Senior detectives ordered a forensic specialist in examining bones and human remains to the scene.

Police said that while the crematorium had been closed for four years it was still fully functional and is thought to have been last used just two months ago. Cabrera, who is being held in the island’s only jail, was charged with attempted abduction, possession of a firearm and the theft of a vehicle after being quizzed by judge Oscar Rey for five hours.

The judge ordered the suspect to be held without bail, following his arrest last Thursday, after the alleged abduction attempt in the La Garita area of the town on January 4.

Police said that two other girls who had also nearly been abducted recently took part in the police identification parade last Friday and also picked out Cabrera.

A team of forensic scientists from Madrid were last night on their way to the island to start the grim task of sifting through incinerator debris for children’s remains. The team will also search the suspect’s home again in case police missed anything.

They have been briefed to look out for any sign of other missing children – including Madeleine.

A police source in the Algarve said: “Officers involved in the operation in Gran Canaria are aware of the Madeleine McCann case and have been fully briefed about it.

“Cases of disappearing children are thankfully very rare in this part of the world.

“That is why it is not impossible for those few that have occurred to be linked – possibly to the same perpetrator.”

Private detectives hired by Gerry and Kate McCann think Madeleine is in Portugal, Spain or Morocco – from which Gran Canaria is easily accessible.

It is understood that police in Gran Canaria are working to establish Cabrera’s movements over the last eight months. They will investigate whether he has any links with known paedophiles or their networks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:12 pm 

MADELEINE FILES TO REMAIN SECRET

Monday January 14,2008

Kate and Gerry McCann expect the police files on the disappearance of their daughter Madeleine to remain secret for another three months, the couple's spokesman said.

Portuguese authorities could decide on Monday whether to accept a police request to extend the secrecy time limit in the case until April.

It is eight months since detectives named Robert Murat, 33, an official suspect in the case and his lawyer said that he would like that status to be lifted now.

But Clarence Mitchell, the McCanns' spokesman, said: "I cannot tell you hand on heart that they (Portuguese officers) have had the extension approved, but we are 103% certain that they will get it.

"We are working on the basis that we have another three months of official secrecy."

Portuguese law prevents Mr and Mrs McCann, both 39, from Rothley, Leics, from speaking about police investigations into the disappearance of four-year-old Madeleine.

She vanished from the family's holiday apartment in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz on May 3.

On Friday, Portuguese detectives asked for the case's secrecy limit to be extended beyond the usual eight months that starts once police have identified a formal suspect, or "arguido", in this case Murat.

Asked whether his client would be cleared of his status as a formal suspect today, Murat's lawye Francisco Pagarete said: "I don't know anything. I know as much as you do. Of course, I would like it (the arguido status) to be lifted today."

Murat, a British man who lives near the apartment from which Madeleine vanished, has denied any involvement in the case.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:35 pm 

GIRL VANISHES NEAR MADELEINE RESORT

Wednesday January 16,2008

Private detectives hired to find Madeleine McCann are attempting to establish if there is a link with the disappearance of a young Spanish girl.

Mari Luz Cortez, five, vanished from Huelva, on the Spanish border.

It is just 120 miles away from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz, where Madeleine disappeared on May 3 last year.

According to reports, Mari Luz Cortez was last seen on Sunday afternoon going to buy a packet of crisps from a local shop. Her family, who raised the alarm after searching for her themselves when she failed to return, are said to fear she has been abducted.

Officers have been scouring the area for the girl, and Portuguese police have also been carrying out searches on their side of the border.

The McCanns' spokesman Clarence Mitchell said there were "comparisons" that could be made, but stressed it was too early to say if the two cases were linked.

He said detective agency Metodo 3 were looking into the Spanish youngster's disappearance as a priority.

He said: "Our investigators, Metodo 3 are working very closely with the Spanish police in the first instance, and with the family to establish whether there are any links or similarities."

He said Kate and Gerry McCann were aware of the case and their thoughts were with the youngster's family.

"They are highly concerned to hear that another young girl has gone missing in the region. Their thoughts and prayers are with the Cortez family."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:35 pm 

GIRL VANISHES NEAR MADELEINE RESORT

Wednesday January 16,2008

Private detectives hired to find Madeleine McCann are attempting to establish if there is a link with the disappearance of a young Spanish girl.

Mari Luz Cortez, five, vanished from Huelva, on the Spanish border.

It is just 120 miles away from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz, where Madeleine disappeared on May 3 last year.

According to reports, Mari Luz Cortez was last seen on Sunday afternoon going to buy a packet of crisps from a local shop. Her family, who raised the alarm after searching for her themselves when she failed to return, are said to fear she has been abducted.

Officers have been scouring the area for the girl, and Portuguese police have also been carrying out searches on their side of the border.

The McCanns' spokesman Clarence Mitchell said there were "comparisons" that could be made, but stressed it was too early to say if the two cases were linked.

He said detective agency Metodo 3 were looking into the Spanish youngster's disappearance as a priority.

He said: "Our investigators, Metodo 3 are working very closely with the Spanish police in the first instance, and with the family to establish whether there are any links or similarities."

He said Kate and Gerry McCann were aware of the case and their thoughts were with the youngster's family.

"They are highly concerned to hear that another young girl has gone missing in the region. Their thoughts and prayers are with the Cortez family."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next